Tuesday, June 22, 2010

L is for LeGuin and W is for Wood

I recently finished two books for my children's book goals. Both of these would be enjoyable for older readers as well, but I am counting them as children's because they would probably be enjoyed by older elementary readers.
The first is The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, Book 1: The Mysterious Howling.  The School Library Journal review said that this book is like a mix between Jane Eyre and Lemony Snicket, and I see what they mean.  Penelope has just graduated from a boarding school for intelligent orphans.  At the age of 15, she is ready to enter the world as a governess for a rich family.  She responds to an ad and gets a job as the governess to three children.  However, she only finds out after she is hired that these children were raised by wolves, and recently discovered living in the woods.  Penelope does her best to overcome this obstacle, determined to teach the children Latin and French, as well as how to dress and eat properly.  I really enjoyed this story and will eagerly await its sequel.  Not only is the story  entertaining, but it is accompanies by lovely illustrations of the children and their antics.

The next book I finished was A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin.  I can see why this has become a classic fantasy book.  The story is quite different from other fantasy series I have read, and is very interesting.  However, during this read I finally admitted to myself that I don't enjoy high fantasy as much as I have always thought I would.  However, for readers that enjoy it, this is one of the better books I have read.  I made the choice not to continue the series though, as I have recently struggled to get through other long high fantasy series (The Dark is Rising Sequence, and Lloyd Alexander's books, for example).

No comments:

Post a Comment