Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Becoming Jane Eyre

Becoming Jane Eyre by Shiela Kohler.

I was very interested to read this book, because Jane Eyre has been one of my favorite novels for many years.  I did not know much about Charlotte Bronte and her sisters, so I was looking forward to reading more about their lives.

I am not sure how much of this book was hard fact.  I know that many details of the Brontes' lives are unknown, and in those cases Kohler did a good job imagining what might have happened.  I thought she did a good job capturing the struggles of the Brontes' lives.  All of the siblings died very young, and they were never very prosperous.  My favorite parts were when the three sisters were interacting and discussing their different novels.  Kohler captured the support as well as competition that I imagine was present in a family of such creative individuals. 

The only thing I didn't always like was how many points of view the novel tries to cover.  I liked hearing from the different sisters, but I'm not sure I would have chosen to write from their father's point of view.  I probably would have just preferred it from Charlotte's point of view.  Also, the book is written in present tense.  At first this bothered me because I wasn't used to it.  However, once I was used to it this style helped me feel like I was standing in the room with this family, observing their daily life.

No comments:

Post a Comment